WRITTEN BY: DAN WANSER
The Temple men’s tennis team came into its match Saturday against UConn needing a win, following a tough loss to East Carolina on Friday night. The duos of Florian Mayer/Thomas Sevel and Uladzmir Dudash/Francisco Bohorquez got the team off to a hot start by posting doubles victories to earn the team the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead.
This momentum carried through into the singles portion of the day, as the owls swept the six matches to earn a 7-0 victory and even up their conference record. Mayer, Sevel, Dudash, and Bohorquez were all double winners for the owls, while Artem Kapshuk and Filip Stipic also posted singles victories at singles one and six respectively to seal the 7-0 win.
“I was really happy with how the guys responded,” head coach Steve Mauro said. “We talked for a good amount after the match yesterday. We’re happy with the outcome today.”
Temple will travel to George Washington Wednesday afternoon looking to get back to .500 and then will return home Friday to face Wagner.
- Parker Goldstein/Christopher Toner (UConn) def. Artem Kapshuk/Vineet naran (TU), 6-3
- Florian Mayer/Thomas Sevel (TU) def. Hank Hill/Justin Warren (UConn), 6-1
- Uladzimr Dorash/Francisco Bohorquez (TU) def. Arnaud Valentine/Jacob Appleton (UConn), 7-5
- Artem Kapshuk (TU) def. Christopher Toner (UConn), 6-2, 6-0
- Uladzimir Dorash (TU) def. Parker Goldstein (UConn), 6-1, 6-3
- Thomas Sevel (TU) def. Arnaud Valentin (UConn), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Florian Mayer (TU) def. Jacob Appleton (UConn), 7-6(5), 1-6, 6-1
- Francisco Bohorquez (TU) def. Justin Warren (UConn), 6-2, 6-0
- Filip Stiptic (TU) def. Hank Hill (UConn), 6-2, 6-0