On this week’s WHIP News Crackdown, President Trump declares a national emergency to obtain funds for his wall, measles makes a scary comeback, taxes make people angry, and more. Also, be sure to check out the Temple University stories in the last two sources – a rendering error prevented us from including them in the main video before our deadline, but they’re stories you don’t want to miss (a Temple student is working on a cool film and an owl got married).
Want to help us make the Crackdown better? Take our news content survey and tell us what you think!
Are you a student at Temple with skills relevant to the Crackdown? Consider applying to join the WHIP News Department!
- USA Today: Donald Trump declares national emergency to free up billions of dollars for border wall
- USA Today: National emergencies: What to know about executive orders and their role in US history
- US CBP: 1960-2017 Total Illegal Alien Apprehensions By Fiscal Year
- US CBP: Southwest Border Migration FY2018
- The Intercept: Gop Leadership Instructs Lawmakers to Play Up Gruesome Murders and Rapes by Immigrants
- Science Direct: Immigrants commit crime and violence at lower rates than the US-born Americans
- Politifact: Did lettuce kill more Americans than undocumented immigrants?
- NBC: Measles cases nationwide rise to 101, CDC says
- CDC: FAQ About Measles
- WaPo: Millions of Americans could be stunned as their tax refunds shrink
- Fortune: Amazon Will Pay a Whopping $0 in Federal Taxes on $11.2 Billion Profits
- NY Times: NASA’s Opportunity Rover Dies on Mars
- Vox: NASA’s Opportunity rover is dead. Here’s what it saw during its 14 years on Mars.
- WFSB: Judge rules Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist must submit deposition
- PCGamesN: Pennsylvania considers a tax on violent videogames to help prevent school shootings
- Independent: No evidence playing violent video games leads to aggressive behaviour in teens, study finds
- WHYY: Pa. weighs plan to tax violent video games to fund school security
- CNBC: Senate confirms Trump’s attorney general pick William Barr, who will now oversee Mueller probe
- Temple News: Temple student’s film promotes inclusivity in industry
- Temple News: Stella the owl marries long time mate